Japanese ed."ALPS ."
Swiss Book Club ed.
- Production period
- Alps Japanese ed. (1969) Kodansha Ltd. (price 20,000JPY)
- Majestat Del Alpen Swiss ed. (1973) Bucher Company
- Majestat Del Alpen Swiss Book Club ed. (1974) Libris Company
- Majestat Del Alpen German ed. (1973)
Deutscher Bucherbund Company
- The Alps British ed. (1973) Thames and Hudson Company
- Majeste Des Alpes French ed. (1973) Bibliotheque Des Arts Company
- Alpernes Jajestæt Danish ed. (1974) Lademnn Company
- The Alps American ed. (1975) Harry N. Abrams Company
Although colourful landscapes pictures of sunrise and sunset are common, before 1969 when Alps was published, there was no such a picture in the world like the gorgeous red or orange colourful pictures that appeared in the Alps. Mr. Shirakawa, at that time was working on exclusive photographs of The World Cultural Geography in 23 volumes and The World Culture Series in 26 volumes. He travelled to 135 countries and carried out his research by touring bookstores. After Himalayas was published in 1971, the colours of the photographs were increasingly used in works of other photographers especially in Japan. Alps was the work that revolutionized landscape photography all over the world. It is no surprise that foreign-language editions sold 800,000 copies.
The sun blazing up
over the Monch
Sunrise over the Dome
The ski slopes of
St.christoph am Arlberg